Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The High Speed Scene - s/t ep (2002)

I normally don't post that are presently active (except those way past their prime), but I'm making an exception for the rather exceptional High Speed Scene, an LA trio who very quietly released an album in 2005 on Interscope. That self titled disk came and went...pretty much nowhere. In fact, to this day, most of my friends and colleagues know bupkis about these guys. The six-cut "red" ep this post concerns served as demos for their album.
Perhaps this is what Weezer might have passed for if they were party-happy and debaucheristic as all-get-out Dolling out plump, chunky, slabalicious power-chords coupled with abundant, potty-mouthed tales of scoring chicks, spinning doughnuts, and keeping tabs on “the kids,” (whomever and wherever they may be). HSS are frivolous, lowbrow fun galore, and much like Weezer, they triumphantly fly the flag of the underdog. Front-man Max Hart's guitar riffs are downright assaulting, exuding the command and musculature that's uncommon for songs so seeped in fun and frivolity. The highlight here is "The Iroc-Z Song," an '8os era tale that ponders teen angst, Oakley sunglasses, and Van Halen.
All six tracks found their way onto the album, re-recorded of course. I waver when it comes to deciding which versions impress me the most, but if I had to boil it down to one, I'd go with the album. If you're new to HSS consider ep as a teaser for the album. As a matter of fact you might be able to obtain a copy yourself, if not sold-out of course, by going here. Support the band!

01. Revolutionary Fervor
02. The Iroc-Z Song
03. For the Kids
04. Fuck and Spend
05. Hottie
06. All About It

MP3  or  FLAC

8 comments:

jimmybuttons said...

high speed scene are awesome!! max is an old acquaintance of mine from about ten years ago, when i lived out in davis, ca. max had a thoroughly awesome skate/punk-ish band called beatbox, which never made it to vinyl as far as i know. i have what i believe to be a cdr of all of the recorded beatbox stuff, which i can certainly post in the next few days.
thanx, this was a nice surprise!!

spavid said...

Jimmybuttons,

Thanks, I'd love to hear whatever you have by Beatbox. Sounds interesting. Was just checking out your blog. Looks great. Consider adding me to your blogroll and I'll be happy to do the same. I'll see you again on S/S

jimmybuttons said...

i've added your link to my blogroll, feel free to do the same for me :D

i've also posted the beatbox material. http://jimmybuttons.blogspot.com/2007/09/beatbox-two-demos.html

enjoy!!

spavid said...

The link has finally been updated.

Unknown said...

Would you mind re-uploading this? Also, would do you have the ability to rip the EP in lossless or additionally have any more of their releases?

Anything you'd be willing to upload would be greatly appreciated. I'm an intense music collector and would be willing to purchase this as a last resort.

I'm a fan of the band as I got into their song "The IROC-Z Song" from the MVP Baseball 05 video game. They make good music and have a very unique vibe. I would love to get my hands on more of their work. The only version I currently have is a transcoded MP3 version of the 2005 eponymous release.

spavid said...

I'll re-up this later this weekend, and should be able to get you a FLAC version too. The album is available on Amazon for a penny (plus shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007TKHVG/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1422592305&sr=1-1&keywords=high+speed+scene

spavid said...

Link has been updated, and now available in FLAC.

Unknown said...

hello, is it possible to have a new link for flac ? thank you